Thursday, September 15, 2011

Packing up for Mpls!

I'm really excited to get back to Minneapolis. It feels like I haven't been there in a Bazillion years. The best part is seeing my friend Amy. Amy has Hodgkins Lymphoma. Even though my dad is a cancer and blood Doctor, ( Oncology and Hematology ) I still have more to learn about what that is. But I do know this:
Amy is pretty damn courageous. She has Chemo every other Thursday. And is pumped up with a ton of steroids and other medications to combat all the side effects. Yep - Lost her hair. She actually looks incredible without hair! She throws on big hoop earrings and looks pretty bad ass.
So this trip was planned so that I could see her, and when I found out that one of my photographs was selected in the Self Revealed Photography Show - I decided that I should plan my trip the same weekend so I could see her and actually show up at the opening.
But right now - I'm packing - It's 11:15pm and I'm almost done - and - I get to wake up at 4am and leave the house at 4:30am to head to the airport. It's the first time I'm going to be away from Max. EVER. I mean - I JUST started to leave Max with his Grandma for up to 2 hours. But that's when I am still in town and not too far away. THIS is a big deal. This is AWAY. F.a.r. Jerry took the day off to be with Max tomorrow and through the weekend. I know Max will be fine. He has an ear infection and is on his antibiotics now so I'm sure he will get more sleep now which is good for everyone involved. When we were laying down at bed time and he snuggled up to me and held on to my ear like he always does ( as if it's the corner of a blanket ), I got emotional. I want to put him in my pocket and take him with me. I want to curl up with him each night like we always do. I want to see him smile at me and give me kisses. I will be grateful to not be schlepping the car seat, stroller, diaper bag, toddler, bottles, snacks, toddler luggage, etc on my journey solo. But I will miss him desperately. Amy left her daughter in Mpls when Jerry and I got married. Amy was VERY pregnant. It was a BIG deal for her to come out and leave her daughter home with the Grandparents. It is amazing the things we will do for each other. Leaving your child at home doesn't seem like a big deal - unless you are a parent! We've been friends since college. Roommates after college. Pen pals for a gazillion years, and favorite friends to call and talk about art, creativity, family, marriage, our parents, life, love and the pursuit of happiness. I'm so so glad that I will be there solo so that I can just BE with Amy and not be split focused. And I will miss my baby Max. But worth it for this trip! And good for Max too! I am ALWAYS with him! ok - Must. Go. Finish. Packing.
xo
*c

No comments: