Monday, August 4, 2008

week 10



Our baby has now completed the most critical portion of his development. This is the beginning of the so-called fetal period, a time when the tissues and organs in his body rapidly grow and mature.

our baby is swallowing fluid and kicking up a storm. Vital organs — including his kidneys, intestines, brain, and liver (now making red blood cells in place of the disappearing yolk sac) — are in place and starting to function, though they'll continue to develop throughout the pregnancy.

If you could take a peek inside the womb, you'd spot minute details, like tiny nails forming on fingers and toes (no more webbing) and peach-fuzz hair beginning to grow on tender skin.

In other developments: our baby's limbs can bend now. His hands are flexed at the wrist and meet over his heart, and his feet may be long enough to meet in front of his body. The outline of his spine is clearly visible through translucent skin, and spinal nerves are beginning to stretch out from the spinal cord. our baby's forehead temporarily bulges with the developing brain and sits very high on the head, which measures half the length of his body. From crown to rump, the baby is about 1 1/4 inches long. In the coming weeks, our baby will again double in size — to nearly 3 inches.

****

I counted wrong - it's actually only 15 days until the end of the first trimester.
And counting.

yesterday jerry and I went to a baby shower of one of his co-workers. It was pretty fascinating. Jerry's boss was there with their 6 month old George IV. We call him Georgie at this point and he is adorable. Jerry's boss ( George III ) and I want to talk about babies every time we see each other. We get this sparkle in our eyes and we can't help it. He is so excited for us and for him to have another couple close to him having a baby. It's really cute and fun to see that in him. But yesterday we couldn't talk about it because no one else knows at the office yet and we didn't want to take away the focus from Ben and His expecting girlfriend Abney. George and I had a hard time not talking about it and we almost resorted to texting each other on our iphones across the table....But Jerry told us to knock it off. I thought it was hilarious.

****

My weight is at 122 now. Just 5 pounds from my start weight. I feel like I weigh about 15 pounds more then that. None of my pants fit any more and most of my tops show my tummy which is sticking out - more from my change in diet then from a baby. I don't want people to see me unless I can tell them I'm pregnant so that it explains why I am growing.....

****

I ran into some old friends from my Toltec Days this weekend. It was SO good to see them and I couldn't help but tell them the news. They were so excited and one of them put their hand close to my belly and said she could feel all the energy in there. I loved hearing that.

****

Today I am home to actually work. I've been feeling much better - more energy lately - followed by even deeper crashes - but I am getting more things done and getting off the couch which is necessary for me.

Going shopping for the birthday party today.

No comments: