Monday, July 28, 2008

We saw the baby's heart beating!!



Friday we had an appointment with our doctor and had our first sonogram. We got to see the baby! And he zoomed in so we could actually see the tiny little heart beating! It was INCREDIBLE!!!! I was laughing out loud. I couldn't believe my eyes. jerry swears it did a little dance to say hello. The doctor told us that the baby is perfect in size and shape and doing very well. The baby is all formed and looks the way it is suppose to look at 8.5 weeks. He says that the chance for miscarriage has dropped down to just 2%, and that I can go ahead and start buying things. I am not sure what he means by going to buy things but I think he means - baby stuff. I'm actually not in the mood yet for that, but it's good news!

GO TEAM SEINER!

So this week the baby is 9 weeks, and looks more like a baby then a blob. The baby is nearly an inch long — about the size of a grape — and weighs just a fraction of an ounce. She's starting to look more and more human. Her essential body parts are accounted for, though they'll go through plenty of fine-tuning in the coming months. Other changes abound: Your baby's heart finishes dividing into four chambers, and the valves start to form — as do her tiny teeth. The embryonic "tail" is completely gone. ( thank god ) . The baby's organs, muscles, and nerves are kicking into gear. The external sex organs are there but won't be distinguishable as male or female for another few weeks. Her eyes are fully formed, but her eyelids are fused shut and won't open until 27 weeks. She has tiny earlobes, and her mouth, nose, and nostrils are more distinct. The placenta is developed enough now to take over most of the critical job of producing hormones. Now that the baby's basic physiology is in place, she's poised for rapid weight gain.

I know I'm poised for rapid weight gain. OY.

Last night I had pretty severe nausea, so I know the baby is growing and doing it's thing which I felt was a good sign. Still no trips to the bathroom to throw up - so that's always a blessing! Phew.

My cat's vet suggested a book about vaccine's to me that goes through all the vaccinations for the baby so that I can learn about why they do that vaccine, and the pro's and con's in a way that has no opinion so I can learn about it and make decisions about which ones I feel need to happen. My vet just had her second child and she really appreciated learning about the vaccines. I don't know enough to say anything about it - but I know that vaccines have been under the microscope due to the rise of autism.
When we were born there were about 30 vaccines, and now there are about 90.
Anyhow - I'm going to get that book this week and start educating myself on the issue.

The same author wrote a book about all the birthing methods. Just the facts. No opinions. And that looks good too. Might look for it at the library and check it out.

But today.........power lounging on our new couch!

1 comment:

DeeDee said...

IF the parents-to-be don't feel like shopping, can the grandparents-to-be go instead?